The University Core requires students to take 10 courses that are infused with proficiencies. The attached list indicates which courses are infused, and it will be updated periodically. Please make sure to see your advisor for the latest version and for any clarifications about the proficiency requirements in your department/college.
The proficiencies are:
- Reading and Writing: Close reading, the integration of reading and writing, textual analysis, organization and development, rhetoric and effective argumentation.
- Information Fluency: Research skills, analysis of sources, documentation, working with secondary sources, the use of databases and indices and the incorporation of outside research into written and oral assignments.
- Oral Communication: Oral presentations, group discussion, oral performance, speeches and interviewing skills.
- Numeracy: Reading graphs and charts, quantitative reasoning, working with numbers, numerical analysis and the integration of numeric information with other disciplines.
- Critical Thinking: Problem solving, developing new approaches to working with information and critical analysis.